WHAT WE BELIEVE
St. John’s is an Anglican church, part of the Anglican Diocese of Toronto, which is a just a region in south-central Ontario. We are part of the Anglican Church of Canada and associated with Anglican and Episcopal churches all over the world. The Anglican church is both traditional and contemporary; it is ceremonial and flexible; it brings us into community for fellowship and support; it emphasizes the importance of prayer, both formal and spontaneous; it is a bridge between the ancient church and the future church. The Anglican Way is an entire way of life. It is a way of following Jesus.
- We believe in one God who has revealed Himself in three persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe the essence of our faith is summarized in the words of the creeds adopted by the early Christian Church and which we confess regularly (the creeds can be found here).
- We believe in a loving God, who created the universe, the solar system, this planet and all creatures upon it, and created human beings in God’s image.
- We believe God loves us so much that God came to find us when we were lost and reconciled us to God and one another through the life, death, and resurrection of his son Jesus Christ.
- We take the Bible very seriously, believing it is God’s word reliably received and that it provides the directions for how God desires us to live. Our worship is Bible-based: we read from the Bible at every service, and what we teach is deeply rooted in the Bible.
- We believe God sends us out to share the Good News of God’s love by serving our neighbours of every kind.
- We believe that God intends for us to be connected to one another in community, to take care of one another, to love one another as God loves us.