Until the early 1950s, Christ Church was used by St. John's as a location for Sunday School classes. Today, Christ Church is officially designated as a "Chapel of Ease" under the sponsorhsip of St. John's. It is used primarily as a community museum to honour the pioneers that established Lakefield as a thriving community on the Otonabee River. As well, occasional worship services are held at Christ Church during the warmer months.
Over the years, St. John's has experienced some important structural additions. The two-story brick rectory beside the church was completed in 1875. The Bell Tower and entrance-way were added to St. John's in 1884. It wasn't until 1953 that the parish hall was added; up to that time, Christ Church was used for St. John's Sunday school classes. The parish hall was enlarged and renovated in 1989, providing a much larger kitchen in addition to office space, a choir room, and other rooms. In 2012, an elevator was added to provide access to the two levels of the parish hall.
In 2013, St. John's became the sponsoring congregation for St. Marks, Warsaw to become a Chapel of Ease under the oversight of St. John's.